- 2 spoons of vanilla extract
- Chocolate cream butter icing
- 2 sticks of softened butter or margarine
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 20 grams of melted semi-sweet chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray pans with vegetable pan spray or sprinkle cake release. If you don’t have pan spray simply apply a thin coat of vegetable oil on your pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk to butter a little at a time ; mix well after each addition. Continue beating for about a minute. Divide batter in half. Stir the melted chocolate into half the batter; mix well.
- Place Batter Dividing Ring into one prepared pan. Follow manufacturer instructions for filling the checker board. (for convenient filling, place batter in disposable decorating bag) and remove ring. Follow filling instructions for 2nd and 3rd pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Assemble cake. Position layer with chocolate cake on outside onto serving plate; spread the top of the cake with chocolate icing. Position layer with yellow cake on outside on top of 1st layer; spread top with chocolate icing. Position final layer and then ice the entire cake with chocolate icing. NB: Other colored batters may be substituted with chocolate and vanilla.
- Remove ring from the pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. Rinse and completely dry ring.
- Place clean and dry ring in 3rd prepared pan. Pour lighter colored batter in outer and center sections and darker colored batter in the middle section. Fill sections halfway. This will be the middle layer of your checkerboard cake.
- Place ring in 2nd prepared pan and repeat steps 1 and 2. These will be the top and bottom layers of your checkerboard cake.
- Remove ring from pan as before. Bake and cool cakes on a cooling rack following recipe directions. Remove and stack cakes.