- Your favorite cake recipe or mix
- Buttercream Icing Recipe
- Delphinium Blue Icing Color
- Sky Blue Icing Color (Combine Delphinium Blue with Sky Blue for blue shown.)
- Violet Icing Color
Make layered cake.
Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool four 6 in. cake layers. Prepare buttercream icing following recipe directions. Level, torte, fill and stack layers on cake circle for a 4-layer cake, 8 in. high. Reserve remaining icing.
Divide remaining icing into 2 portions. Reserve one portion white. Tint one portion darkest blue by adding delphinium blue icing color and sky blue icing color.
Tint three portions of blue icing from dark to light using the portion of the darkest blue shade as a base to tint the other shades of blue.
- Dark blue: Add white icing to a portion of darkest blue icing.
- Medium blue: Add white icing to a portion of dark blue icing and add sky blue icing color.
- Light Blue: Add white icing to a portion of medium blue icing and add sky blue icing color.
Also, for snowflakes:
- Pale Blue: Add white icing to a portion of light blue icing.
- Pale Violet White: Tint a portion of white icing very pale violet using a very small amount of violet icing color.
Ice cakes. Use the four darkest shades of blue icing in cut disposable decorating bags to pipe icing on cake sides and top, beginning at the cake bottom with the lightest icing, and moving to the top with the darkest icing. Use spatula and icing smoother to ice cake smooth.
Decorate cake. Use tip 2, a cut disposable decorating bag and pale blue icing to pipe dots and outline snowflakes. Use tip 1, a cut disposable decorating bag and pale violet white icing to pipe dots and outline snowflakes.
For extra guidelines on the kind of designs you can get from various decorating tips. Here you go!